A Quiet Place Sequel and Top Gun: Maverick are both postponed once again, as Paramount attempts to conserve their cinematic releases despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Variety accounts. Both movies are now intended for launch in 2021, with A Quiet Place Component Two publishing on April 23 and Top Gun: Maverick on July 2. They had been due to launch on September 6 and December 23 of the year, respectively, following previous coronavirus-related delays.
The two are just the latest in a slew of films to have their launch plans thrown into disarray on account of the coronavirus pandemic. Only this week Christopher Nolan’s Tenet and Disney’s live-action Mulan remake were delayed indefinitely, along with other movies including the new James Bond and Peter Rabbit 2 have had their launch dates shifted.
Since the pandemic has upended the cinema industry, movie studios have faced a tough decision: postpone their movies or forgo their releases in favour of publishing on streaming solutions. Disney has taken the latter approach for some of its films such as Artemis Fowl and Hamilton, which have gone directly to Disney Plus. Still, Paramount’s presidents of national and international theatrical distribution, Chris Aronson and Mark Viane, said the firm wanted to preserve the cinematic movie-going experience.
“We genuinely feel there is not any movie-viewing experience such as the one enjoyed in theatres,” Aronson and Viane said in a statement reported by Variety. However, with an estimated production cost of over $150 million for its Top Gun sequel, holding out for profitable ticket revenue will have undoubtedly played a part in Paramount’s decision, as it’s for different studios.
After closure due to health issues, cinemas are yet to reopen their doors. After originally expecting to reopen in July, AMC Theatres from the US this week said it now hopes to open its theatres in August.