The psychotic nurse will see you now… to get Ratched period 2. Netflix’s horror thriller will return to delve further into the insane world of Nurse Mildred Ratched (Sarah Paulson).
Ratched season 2 is happening because the Ryan Murphy-produced show started by receiving a two-season purchase from Netflix. The first season introduced the younger version of this iconic character from the 1975 classic film One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Season 2 will continue telling the story until the timeline matches the film.
Spoiler alert: The next story has spoilers for Ratched season 1.
The prequel collection comes in co-creators Ryan Murphy and Evan Romansky. It starts with Mildred getting a nursing job at Lucia State Hospital, a leading psychiatric institution, where new and unsettling experiments are done on the human mind.
Mildred presents a trendy, buttoned-up exterior which hides increasing darkness within. During the season, Mildred is the foster sister of serial killer Edmund Tolleson (Finn Wittrock), treated in the hospital.
Meanwhile, the California governor George Wilburn (Vincent D’Onofrio) funding the contentious experiments, hoping the job helps him get re-elected.
Here’s everything we know about Ratched year two so far.
Ratched season 2 release date
Netflix has not announced a release date for Ratched season 2 yet.
As a result of the continuing coronavirus pandemic, it is uncertain when filming season 2 will start. Paulson told Variety she is”going back to work shortly, not on Ratched.” That project might be the new American Horror Story season or even a brand new American Crime Story installment.
Both shows will be Murphy creations, which means the super-producer could be occupied for quite a while.
“Nobody knows anything about season 2 since Ryan, with the number of things he has going on,” Paulson said, “Who’s to know when that is going to start, and you throw at the pandemic after which we think well who knows?”
It seems probable that Ratched year two will not make movies until the spring or even summer of 2021. If that is the case, it would be released on Netflix, maybe in ancient 2022.
Ratched season 2 cast
While the Ratched year two cast list is unconfirmed, it is safe to say that Sarah Paulson will be back as the title character, Nurse Mildred Ratched.
The other cast members expected to go back for season two are:
- Finn Wittrock as Edmund Tolleson, a serial killer inmate at Lucia State Hospital and nurture brother to Mildred
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Governor George Willburn, the governor of California
- Cynthia Nixon as Gwendolyn Briggs, Governor Willburn’s press secretary, and campaign manager, and Mildred’s love interest
- Judy Davis as Nurse Betsy Bucket, Head Nurse at Lucia State Hospital
- Sophie Okonedo as Charlotte Wells, a patient with dissociative identity disorder
- Amanda Plummer as Louise, a stunt manager
- Brandon Flynn as Henry Osgood, a psychotic killer
Several notable Ratched cast members won’t be returning for season two, since their characters are dead. It’s possible, though, they can Appear at a flashback, dream, or vision:
- Sharon Stone as Lenore Osgood, a rich heiress, and Henry’s mother
- Jon Jon Briones as Dr. Richard Hanover / Dr. Manuel Bañaga, the director of Lucia State Hospital
- Corey Stoll as Charles Wainwright, a hitman hired by Lenore Osgood to kill Dr. Hanover
- Alice Englert as Nurse Dolly, a nurse, and Edmund’s love attention
- Charlie Carver as Huck Finnigan, an orderly whose face is disfigured in the warfare
- Jermaine Williams as Harold, a safety guard
Ratched season 2 plot and spoilers
While very little is known about Ratched season two’s precise plot information, we could make some guesses based on the ending of year 1.
In the finale, Edmund escaped Lucia State Hospital with fellow individual Charlotte and motel manager Louise. Meanwhile, Mildred has moved to Mexico to start over with her love Gwendolyn (who has been diagnosed with lung cancer).
Next, following a two-year time jump, Edmund called Mildred. Believing that she had planned to kill him, he tells her he’s discovered her new hideout, and he’s going to kill her and Gwendolyn. Mildred’s response: Maybe not if she kills him.
Ratched’s overall idea is to get closer to the period of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
“We’re doing another season, but when we were to go on, the plan would be to perform approximately four seasons,” Paulson explained to Elle.com. “And in the fourth season, we end up at the Cuckoo’s Nester. However, I don’t think we will ever find ourselves at the hospital [in the movie] unless it is pre-McMurphy being admitted unless it is pre those patients being there. If you don’t want to see computer-generated Danny DeVito’s and Jack Nicholsons acting with me, which, I do not know that that’s the means to do it.”